This two-day, on-water course will teach you how to safely operate a powerboat or just improve your on-water boat handling skills. The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) has approved the course, and an increasing number of states are recognizing it as meeting their boating safety education requirements.
The Safe Powerboat Handling™ course is taught by certified instructors using our Start Power boating Right! book.
Although this is a Safe Powerboating Class, there will be some discussion on basic rescue, sailboat race support, and small inflatables for those of you going cruising in the Islands this summer. It’s also a great course for spouses who’d prefer not to be instructed by their mates.
You will learn:
Instructors: The lead instructor is Bradley Van Vechten, a local US Sailing member and certified instructor.
Cost: $125 for two day course; includes snacks and lunch. Please sign up early!
What to Bring: At the seminar you will need a pad and pencil. Participants will receive a copy of Start Power boating Right! as their course materials.
On the water you will need:
- A USCG certified Personal Flotation Device that meets legal requirements (no holes or tears). Inflatables are acceptable.
- Foul Weather Gear (at least a spray top)
- A change of clothes (you very well may get wet during the drills).
- Sturdy boat shoes (not flip flops)
- Sunblock and lip balm
- Swimsuits are a bit ambitious, unless it’s really hot out. We don’t intend for anyone to go in the water for this course.
If you happen to have any of the following items it will help with our on-the-water drills.
- Handheld GPS
- Handheld VHF radio
Contact: Bridget Charters 206-779-6187 or email@example.com
Register: CYC Web site